Sommer Foundation 2021 Scholarship Application
Eligibility: The Sommer Foundation provides scholarships to deserving college bound seniors who have experienced the death of a parent yet have performed in an exemplary manner during his or her high school career. The Sommer Foundation Scholarship was created in memory of Bill Sommer, a High School District 214 graduate.
Selection Criteria: Scholarships will be awarded to students who show strong academic promise, positive extracurricular and/or work experience, contributions through community or school service, and financial need.
Award: This year the Sommer Foundation will award four to six scholarships, with a total value between $2,000 to $4,000 per scholarship, for high school graduating seniors.
Submit an Application Form. Before you start the application, please have the following document prepared:
- A Listing of all Special Activities including any of the following: academic awards/honors; extracurricular school activities; community volunteer service; work experience outside
A Personal Essay briefly describing the impact of losing a parent and the importance of this scholarship to you. Please save this document as a Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF (.pdf) file.
- A Listing of all Special Activities including any of the following: academic awards/honors; extracurricular school activities; community volunteer service; work experience outside of school.
Mail the following documents to the Sommer Foundation:
- A certified copy of your high school academic transcript.
- A copy of your completed FAFSA form (all information will be shredded after a selection is made).
- Two letters of recommendation from high school teachers or other high school personnel.
Mail the above documents to:
Sommer Foundation Scholarship
c/o Lynn Sommer
315 W. Park Place A1
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
All applications must be submitted to the above by Friday, February 26, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted or considered by the Sommer Foundation.
The Foundation will review all completed applications and will interview selected finalists during the week of April 11, 2021. Successful applicants will be notified within seven days of the final interviews.
The decision of the Sommer Foundation Board of Directors will be final.
Scholarship winners will be recognized at the annual Sommer Foundation Golf Tournament which generates the funding for the scholarships. This event will be held July 26, 2021 at the Royal Melbourne Country Club in Long Grove, IL.
Scholarship winners will be responsible for providing the Foundation Board of Directors with the name, address and contact person at the college or university the student will be attending to insure proper payment to the school on the student’s behalf. Scholarship funds will be distributed over a two year period, at the beginning of the students’ freshman year of school and the subsequent year.
If you have any questions regarding the application form or selection procedures, please feel free to contact Lynn Sommer.